7 June, 2013 07:00 ▪
Yanukovych wants the election system changed
“To improve the election system and election procedures, measures, such as a switch to preference party list voting (open list system – Ed.), should be considered,” the address says.
Also, the President recommended giving priority representation in oblast election committees to parties that have their factions in the acting Verkhovna Rada, and forming the election committees on a proportionate basis, based on the number of candidates the parties nominate in single-member constituencies.
“It is also necessary to restrict the right of political parties to delegate their representatives to district election committees to those single-member constituencies only, where they nominate their candidates,” the document says. According to the President, the return of single-member constituencies has given Ukrainians more power to influence the composition of the Verkhovna Rada, closer connection of MPs and voters, and a higher degree of political accountability of MPs.
Apart from that, Yanukovych suggested setting the maximum amount of funds political parties and candidates in parliamentary elections can spend on their campaigns, and called on the legislature to prepare new election legislation based on European political and legal standards.
READ ALSO: Voting Wrong…
- Ukrainian Security Service Chief: Twenty-six Russian security officers were involved in planning of the bloodshed on Maidan
- Yanukovych is in Russia and may be granted asylum there
- Early presidential election scheduled for May 25
- Radoslaw Sikorski: There is no coup in Ukraine
- The Guardian: Obama criticizes Putin for Ukraine and Syria
- Expert: The government is very serious about preparations for 2015. It won’t accept someone flexible as head of the Central Election Committee
- Yanukovych’s charter diplomacy with the EU and the Customs Union
- Alexander Motyl: in order to stay in power, Yanukovych will try to transform Ukraine into a country consisting of two irreconcilable parts
- Werner Schulz: Viktor Yanukovych should now prove his worth by calling off his politically motivated vendetta
- Reuters: turmoil in parliament further undermines Ukraine's hope of being taken seriously by Europe