19 April, 2013 13:00 ▪
MEP Marek Siwiec: it was not the Commission and not Ashton’s team, but the EP that helped to set up requisite conditions to sign the Association Agreement with Ukraine
“We can run a reasonable dispute over the achievements of the mission, whether it was successful or not. It is, however, indisputable that without humiliating petitions to grant a pardon, three people were released from prison. Nevertheless, the most important one is still kept in a prison hospital,” Siwiec claims.
“Aleksander Kwasniewski and Pat Cox together with Martin Schulz have all reasons to be satisfied. The President of the European Parliament risked a lot establishing unprecedented political operation. It was not the Commission, not the Council, not Ashton’s team, but the European Parliament that did a great job in order to set up requisite conditions to sign the Association Agreement during the Vilnius Summit.
It was not by chance that Aleksander Kwasniewski was congratulated by the EU diplomacy chief Catherine Ashton and the EU Commissioner for Enlargement and Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle,” MEP underlines.
- EU delays sanctions against Russia until June 30
- Ukraine signs Association Agreement with EU
- Premier Yatseniuk links disruption of gas talks to the signing of the Association Agreement
- Expert: EU's failure on Ukraine will have a negative impact on the European integration of Moldova and Georgia
- Štefan Füle: EU-Ukraine Association Agreement is not “dead”
- Peter Hannaford: sanctions against Ukraine would have the opposite of the desired effect
- Olga Shumylo-Tapiola: enlargement carrot will not work in Ukraine as it did in Poland
- Alexander Motyl: EU will never sign an Association Agreement with Ukraine’s version of Robert Mugabe
- Matthew Rojansky: scrutiny and criticism of Ukraine’s record on human rights and democracy issues will surely continue after the Association Agreement is signed
- Tadeusz Olszański: Lutsenko’s release is the only concession which President Yanukovych and his entourage are willing to make