6 January, 2014 01:03 ▪
Oppositional MP and an activist were assaulted outside Kiev police station
Andriy Illienko and Sydir Kizin were leaving the Shevchenkivskyy's police station in Kyiv when they were attacked. According to The Independent, they were set upon by a gang of youths. Around a dozen men reportedly kicked and punched the two men but fled when the attack was interrupted by two passers-by, who Svoboda said had rescued their members from "probable death".
As an ambulance crew at the scene told the correspondent of The Independent, the MP had suffered a fractured jaw and concussion.
In a statement responding to the assault on Mr Illienko, the party said: "The Svoboda Party considers this attack as a particularly cynical attempt on the life of a statesman. This attack was planned in advance, with thugs and police acting as a coalition."
This accident is not the first attack on the EuroMaidan activists. During the last two weeks around a dozen of EuroMaidan activists were attacked in Ukraine and other cities.
On December 24, Dmytro Pylypets, organizer of the EuroMaidan in Kharkiv, was beaten and stabbed near his home.
Two men attacked journalist and EuroMaidan activist Tetiana Chornovil on the night of December 24-25
On December 29, three unidentified men brutally beaten Stanislav Troshyn, the 28-year-old activist of Kherson EuroMaidan and the local council deputy from “Bat’kivshchyna” Party
- Ukrainian Security Service Chief: Twenty-six Russian security officers were involved in planning of the bloodshed on Maidan
- Yanukovych is in Russia and may be granted asylum there
- Financial Times: Russia-Ukraine tensions seethe in Crimea
- The Wall Street Journal: EU's Ashton to Discuss Ukraine with IMF Chief
- One more protester died in a hospital
- World academics and intellectuals call on support of Ukrainians on the Maidan
- Joschka Fischer: if Ukraine loses its independence in one way or another, European security will be at risk
- US expressed its “grave concern” over attacks on EuroMaidan activists
- Alexander J. Motyl for the World Affairs: Ukrainians made a declaration of independence from the Yanukovych regime on the Maidan
- Police detained the third suspect in the attack on Chornovol