20 August, 2013 16:13 ▪
European Socialists warn of Russia pressuring Ukraine over agreement with EU
It is obvious that Russia wants to deter Ukraine from strengthening its relationship with the European Union.
"As a sovereign country, Ukraine should have full independence to decide its foreign policy. Ukraine must have the right – without any external pressure – to enhance its relationship with the EU. And the European Union must support Ukraine's ambition for closer ties with the EU."
He continued by urging the European People's Party to support Ukraine's stronger ties with the EU:
"I particularly want to appeal to the EPP to give their full support to the summit between the EU, Ukraine and other neighbourhood countries in Vilnius this autumn, to ensure it is successful. We need full support for a quick ratification of the association agreement with Ukraine in order to strengthen Ukraine's position in relation to Russia."
- Dmytro Tymchuk: Terrorists shelling Ukrainian military from Russian border again
- Bloomberg: US ready to impose tougher sanctions on Russia unilaterally
- Dmytro Tymchuk: Quite a few militants in the Donbas will lay down arms in ceasefire
- Presidential Administration official says terrorist attacks could take place on May 9
- Ukrainian Security Service Chief: Twenty-six Russian security officers were involved in planning of the bloodshed on Maidan
- John O'Sullivan: Russia’s actions against Ukraine are signs for NATO and the West to re-open negotiations
- Expert: the pro-Russian business lobby in Ukraine is today weaker than at the beginning of Yanukovych’s presidency
- The New York Times: a business owner in Russia has a better chance of ending up in the penal colony system once known as the GULAG than a common burglar does
- Expert: Ukraine for Russia: either a partner in the Eurasian Union, or a buffer zone
- Ukrainian-Russian relations: facing Cool Winter