1 August, 2013 16:56 ▪
BlogActive: there are good news in the EU-Ukraine association prospects
On the 1,025th anniversary of the baptism of Kyivan Rus in Kyiv Russia’s president Vladimir Putin described the benefits Ukraine got in Russia and Soviet empires. The rhetoric used in communist times remained the same as in Soviet times. That was yet another attempt to persuade Ukraine not to sign EU-Ukraine association agreement.
“Russia always uses religion as argument on the “historical unity” of two nations. For the time being orthodoxy is one of the means to drag Ukraine into a new Russia’s controlled integration body. Being in Kyiv Kremlin leader again implied that Ukraine should join Customs union of Russia, Belarus’ and Kazakhstan,” writes BlogActive.
READ ALSO: Caught in a Zeitnot
Despite Kremlin’s attempts, the question of the joining to Customs union is not on Ukraine’s agenda. “ Kyiv told that it does not have plans to join Customs union and now just trying to sweeten Kremlin’s disappointment and anger,” writes BlogActive.
Moreover, as dialogue between EU and Ukraine is processing. So hopes to good outcomes of Vilnius Summit remain. But there are number of other obstacles which Ukraine should remove till October.
- EU delays sanctions against Russia until June 30
- Ukraine signs Association Agreement with EU
- Expert: EU's failure on Ukraine will have a negative impact on the European integration of Moldova and Georgia
- Štefan Füle: EU-Ukraine Association Agreement is not “dead”
- Kwasniewski: The EU is forming an economic package to compensate for Ukraine’s losses
- Günter Verheugen: with association agreement Ukraine will no longer be in a limbo between the EU and Eurasian Union
- The EU realizes that Ukraine’s government “improves” business climate in words
- Eurasia Review on Russian aggression and Ukraine’s accession
- The Economist: Volyn remains one the darkest chapters in the Polish-Ukrainian history, and one of the most misunderstood
- The Economist: Ukraine would be a great prize for EU is Association Agreement is signed