20 June, 2013 12:00 ▪
Geoffrey Pyatt: democratic principles are in Ukraine’s own interest
“We support Ukraine’s sovereignty, independence, and territorial integrity, along with its desire to pursue its own political and economic interests. In keeping with the aspirations of the Ukrainian people, the United States promotes democracy, a market economy, and rule of law in order to encourage the development of a strong, prosperous, and European state. If confirmed, I will encourage the Ukrainian government to act now to take advantage of this historic opportunity to pursue Ukraine’s hopes for European integration and to meet the EU’s conditions for signature of the EU – Ukraine Association Agreement,” Pyatt underlined.
“In the past three years, the United States has expressed increasing concern about the political situation in Ukraine, especially regarding the selective prosecutions of opposition leaders. If confirmed, I will encourage Ukrainians to set high standards for themselves on human rights and rule of law, recognizing that democratic principles are in Ukraine’s own interest, and central to U.S. policy. I will also support Ukrainian aspirations for free and fair elections that meet the bar they set for themselves in 2010, especially looking ahead to the 2015 presidential election,” the ambassador stated.
- EU delays sanctions against Russia until June 30
- Ukraine signs Association Agreement with EU
- Expert: EU's failure on Ukraine will have a negative impact on the European integration of Moldova and Georgia
- Štefan Füle: EU-Ukraine Association Agreement is not “dead”
- Kwasniewski: The EU is forming an economic package to compensate for Ukraine’s losses
- Prime minister of Lithuania: at the moment it is unclear which path Ukraine has chosen
- Ukraine fails to meet any of the Füle list requirements
- MEP Jacek Saryusz-Wolski: Ukraine must get off the fence when it comes to its relations with Russia and the European Union
- Brookings Institution: how badly Yanukovych wants his European vector should become clear this fall
- Polish experts: the mere act of signing the memorandum with Customs Union has worsened Ukraine’s image in the West