1 July, 2014 01:14 ▪
President Poroshenko ends truce in the Donbas
This ends the ceasefire announced by the President on June 20 and extended till 10 p.m. on Monday, June 30.
“We will attack and free our land. The end of the ceasefire is our answer to terrorists, militants, looters and everyone who abuses the civilians, paralyzes the region’s economy, disrupts the payment of wages, pensions and stipends, blows up railroads, ruins waterpipes and deprives people of normal life,” the President says in his address to the nation.
"I ask every citizen of Donetsk and Luhansk Oblast to take my decision with understanding. I ask you to become our allies in returning security to the Donbas. Yes, you cannot resist bandits physically. But your will and spirit, your civil resistance to the so-called "people's republics", intolerance and contempt to those who chose the path of banditism, looting and terror, will near the day when solid peace returns to your homes and streets," Poroshenko addressed the Donbas people.
"To everyone who chose the path of armed resistance to the legitimate government but realized that it was a mistake and is willing to correct it, I, as President, guarantee exemption from criminal liability. The only condition is to lay down arms voluntarily," he said.
"Our peace plan, as a strategy for Ukraine and the Donbas remains in effect. Disarmament. Decentralization. Free usage of the Russian language. Recovery of the lost residence funded by the state. A common programme with the EU to create new jobs. We are even ready to resume ceasefire at any moment. When we see that all paries stick to the key points of the peace plan. That the militants are releasing hostages. That diversionists and suppliers of arms are stopped on both sides of the border, and the OSCE is observing how that regime is complied with on the borderline," Poroshenko added.
On June 20, Poroshenko announced temporary ceasefire by all units of the Ukrainian Army, National Guard and Border Service. Anti-terrorist operation members were only allowed to shoot as a measure of protection. Following negotiations in Donetsk, the terrorists allegedly agreed to cease fire through June 27 but kept violating the ceasefire all that time.
On June 27, the ceasefire was extended for another 72 hours, until 10 p.m. on June 30.
Over June 20-30 of the “truce”, 27 Ukrainian troops were killed, 69 injured.
- A convoy of Russian military vehicles enters Luhansk
- Russian APCs cross Ukrainian border
- National Guard: Terrorists attack Ukrainian military in Donetsk Oblast in tanks
- Dmytro Tymchuk: Terrorists shelling Ukrainian military from Russian border again
- Bloomberg: US ready to impose tougher sanctions on Russia unilaterally
- SBU detains terrorists intending to blow up Kyiv-Kharkiv railroad
- National Security and Defence Council: The plan of anti-terrorist assault ready, the military await the order
- Terrorists shell the airfield in Kramatorsk and checkpoints near Sloviansk during truce
- Terrorists shell residential districts in Sloviansk killing at least eight yesterday
- InfoResist: Terrorists shoot at the airfield and two bases of Ukrainian military in Kramatorsk