17 June, 2014 22:21 ▪
Dmytro Tymchuk: Terrorists force the locals to join them because they are running out of money
According to Tymchuk, the activities of the SBU, Ukraine’s Special Service, and counterintelligence have caused disruptions in the delivery of financing for terrorists, therefore they started forcing people to join their ranks.
“When terrorists have financial resources, they recruit fighters from among the locals. Yet, few locals are willing to fight. They are not driven by ideology. But, given the fact that they live in very depressed regions, they can take up arms and work with terrorists for money,” Tymchuk said.
“Therefore, terrorists launch forced mobilization by forcing local men to join their ranks. They give them weapons and try to “bind them with blood” to make sure they do not escape,” Tymchuk noted.
According to Information Resistance’s estimates, up to ten thousand terrorists are active in the Donbas today.
RELATED ARTICLE: Breaking Away From Eurasia
“However, the estimates are from at least a week back. Their numbers decline constantly. Some, especially “Cossacks”, leave for Russia. This is not rotation; part of them realize that they don’t like it here and they want to go back home. Instead, new smaller groups of mercenaries arrive. This makes it difficult to calculate their numbers properly since those territories are under total control of terrorists,” Tymchuk said.
On June 16, National Defence and Security Council Head Andriy Parubiy said that the number of terrorists in the Donbas is 20,000.
RELATED ARTICLE: Money of the Donbas
- A convoy of Russian military vehicles enters Luhansk
- Russian APCs cross Ukrainian border
- National Guard: Terrorists attack Ukrainian military in Donetsk Oblast in tanks
- Dmytro Tymchuk: Terrorists shelling Ukrainian military from Russian border again
- National Defence and Security Council: A grouping of Russian military detected near Russia-Ukraine border in Luhansk Oblast
- June, 14 – The bloodiest day in Ukraine’s Anti-Terrorist Operation claims lives of 49 soldiers and 5 border guards
- Terrorists claim to have taken OSCE observers hostage
- Defense Ministry claims that the armed conflict will stop in the Donbas
- Terrorists attacked a military unit in Artemivsk at night
- Anti-Terrorist Operation spokesman: Krasnyi Lyman is purged of terrorists, fighting continues near Sloviansk