9 June, 2014 17:21 ▪
Defense Ministry claims that the armed conflict will stop in the Donbas
“We are in the process of stopping the armed conflict in Eastern Ukraine,” he said. "
Koval noted that Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces is taking practical steps. “They give us great hope that wise decisions will be taken and the residents of Eastern Ukraine will live in peace as soon as possible,” he said.
RELATED ARTICLE: The Myth of Russian-Speaking Regions
In particular, he noted that the President has announced plans to peacefully solve all problems in Eastern Ukraine, by taking the situation from the phase of an armed conflict into one of negotiations.
“The situation in the Donbas has not developed according to the scenario drafted abroad,” Koval noted. “Anyone dreaming of a civil war here should forget about it.”
RELATED ARTICLE: Pro-Ukrainian Donbas: Intelligent, Creative, Chaotic
Acting Minister Koval also said that arms will only be used against people who have taken the path of terror and violated peace in the country.
In a comment on his trip to Brussels, Koval said that all NATO member-states’ defense ministers highly evaluate the actions of the Ukrainian army in the anti-terrorist operation.
In his inauguration speech on June 7, President Petro Poroshenko said that the fighting in Eastern Ukraine should be stopped this week.
- A convoy of Russian military vehicles enters Luhansk
- Russian APCs cross Ukrainian border
- National Guard: Terrorists attack Ukrainian military in Donetsk Oblast in tanks
- Dmytro Tymchuk: Terrorists shelling Ukrainian military from Russian border again
- Bloomberg: US ready to impose tougher sanctions on Russia unilaterally
- Terrorists attacked a military unit in Artemivsk at night
- Poroshenko will offer a peaceful solution for Ukraine during inauguration
- Anti-Terrorist Operation spokesman: Krasnyi Lyman is purged of terrorists, fighting continues near Sloviansk
- Acting President Turchynov announced partial closing of border with Russia
- Explosion at the Luhansk Oblast Administration kills seven