20 January, 2014 10:41 ▪
AutoMaidan names Klitschko the single candidate representing the resistance campaign
“Only one leader was with people on the frontline at the most difficult and dangerous time for the Ukrainian people! He was Vitaliy Klitschko! Real actions at the most urgent moment are worth far more than talks, plans and strategies. The AutoMaidan has chosen the single candidate representing the resistance campaign and is ready to support him in the struggle against lawlessness that has penetrated all branches of government, the struggle for the establishment of a lawful State with human values. From now on, Vitaliy Klitschko is the leader of resistance to us,” AutoMaidan activists claim.
AutoMaidan leader Dmytro Bulatov said at the yesterday’s rally that the opposition must choose a single leader. Meanwhile, Arseniy Yatseniuk said at the rally: “We have a leader here. And I will tell you who this leader is – it is the Ukrainian people. Our unity, our joint struggle is the guarantee of our real Ukrainian leadership,” he told the crowd chanting “Leader, leader!”. “We must act with you like a real European powerful and wise opposition. We know what to do and how to bring forth a new democratic government. And we know the main way to do this: we are together, we are united, we act only peacefully. We act in a coordinated manner and enforce the key article of the Ukrainian Constitution – power in Ukraine belongs to people.”
Later, as protesters started clashes on Hrushevskoho Street in an attempt to break through the police line to the government premises, Vitaliy Klitschko called on protesters to not provoke Berkut, the riot police. The protesters booed him.
- Acting Foreign Minister says diplomatic relations with Russia could be suspended
- May 9 in Ukraine: a fire at the TV tower, a shootout in Mariupol, Putin’s visit to Crimea
- Acting Prosecutor General: Police helped separatists in Odesa on May 2
- Presidential Administration official says terrorist attacks could take place on May 9
- Ukrainian Security Service Chief: Twenty-six Russian security officers were involved in planning of the bloodshed on Maidan
- The Wall Street Journal: Ukraine Antigovernment Protests Revived
- Yuriy Lutsenko injuired by Berkut during clashes in front of the Kyiv Sviatoshyn District Court
- Ukrainian diaspora in US called on Obama administration to impose sanctions against Ukrainian authorities
- Oppositional MP and an activist were assaulted outside Kiev police station
- World academics and intellectuals call on support of Ukrainians on the Maidan