6 January, 2014 02:05 ▪
Ukrainian diaspora in US called on Obama administration to impose sanctions against Ukrainian authorities
The representatives of Ukrainian diaspora have met with Karen Donfried, the special assistant to the US president and senior director for European affairs at the National Security Council (NSC). They discussed the support of the democratic process in Ukraine.
Ukrainian diaspora representatives also called on White House to impose sanctions against Ukrainian authorities. As Ukrayins’ka Pravda reports, among the names pointed by the diaspora were Vitaliy Zakharchenko, Minister of the Interior Affairs; Andriy Klyuyev, Secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council; Gennadiy Kernes, Kharkiv mayor; Mykhailo Dobkin, head of the Kharkiv Oblast State Administration.
As it is also reported, according to US law, sanctions are imposed not only on the authority representatives, but also on their families.
- Bloomberg: US ready to impose tougher sanctions on Russia unilaterally
- Ukraine disappointed with EU sanctions against Russia
- Ukraine’s ex-PM Asarov trying to get his EU money back
- Ukrainian Security Service Chief: Twenty-six Russian security officers were involved in planning of the bloodshed on Maidan
- The Telegraph: Russian billionaire sold his shares the day before he was blacklisted
- Oppositional MP and an activist were assaulted outside Kiev police station
- World academics and intellectuals call on support of Ukrainians on the Maidan
- Joschka Fischer: if Ukraine loses its independence in one way or another, European security will be at risk
- US expressed its “grave concern” over attacks on EuroMaidan activists
- Alexander J. Motyl for the World Affairs: Ukrainians made a declaration of independence from the Yanukovych regime on the Maidan