9 October, 2013 15:04 ▪
Putin talks about help to “Ukrainian friends” with a USD 750mn loan and a discount for gas
“Although the discussion about Ukraine’s possible signing (of the Association Agreement with the EU – Ed.) is heated and emotional, our banks issued yet another loan, USD 750mn, for Ukraine ten days ago – of course I was aware of it. Gazprom helped Ukraine pump the necessary gas into its gas storage facilities with a discount, for USD 260 per 1,000 cu m. The Russian leadership was aware of this as well,” Putin said.
READ ALSO: The Third Gas Revolution
He mentioned that Ukraine had just recently been paying nearly USD 400 per 1,000 cu m for Russia gas. The current price is USD 380-390.
“We’ve made a discount, Gazprom has made a discount for pumping gas into the underground storage facilities. This means that we are cooperating, helping our Ukrainian partners, our friends,” Putin said.
On October 1, Haftogaz Ukraine negotiated the extension of the USD 2bn loan from the Russian Gazprombank.
READ ALSO: Diversification or Dmytrification?
- Expert: more diversions against Ukrainian gas transit system could take place in the next few weeks
- European Commission says Gazprom’s threats against reverse supplies of gas to Ukraine are unacceptable
- Premier Yatseniuk links disruption of gas talks to the signing of the Association Agreement
- Naftogaz: gas transit system and underground storage facilities will remain state-owned
- The Independent: G7 leaders prepared an 'emergency response plan' to assist Ukraine if Russia restricts gas supplies
- Edward Lucas: the EU has enough strength to respond to Russia’s pressure
- Ukraine Opts Shell-ExxonMobil For Black Sea Field
- Supreme Court will not revise Tymoshenko’s verdict in the gas case
- Death of the "Nabucco" pipeline scheme destroys EU’s plan to lower dependence on Russian gas
- Taras Kuzio: Shale gas revolution may open Ukraine’s integration into Europe