17 April, 2013 12:00 ▪
Hanne Severinsen: Cox- Kwasniewski mission runs the risk to be used as a cover for the Yanukovych-regime
“The Cox- Kwasniewski mission has had their limitation in their “closed door” policy. The lack of public comments from their findings, has unfortunately given the Ukrainian authorities too much room for explaining their mission only from their side,” Severinsen noted.
“No doubt they have had impact in improving the conditions for the political prisoners in Ukraine, especially the pardon of Lutsenko and Filipchuk. In that sense it has seemingly being a useful tool allowing mechanism for direct negotiation with the Yanukovych-regime which would not be possible for an EU official. Thereby act behind the scene,” she underlined.
“But if they continue, it would be better if they give up the very diplomatic way they act, speaking up and give room for political considerations, helping the international community to evaluate the selective justice in Ukraine and how to react up to the Vilnius Summit. Otherwise they run the risk to be used as a cover for the Yanukovych-regime, who only gives promises after promises they don’t intend to fulfill,” Severinsen claimed.
- Ukraine disappointed with EU sanctions against Russia
- European Commission says Gazprom’s threats against reverse supplies of gas to Ukraine are unacceptable
- EU delays sanctions against Russia until June 30
- First Bulgaria, then Serbia halt work on South Stream
- European Parliament backs decision to cut customs duties on imports from Ukraine
- Matthew Rojansky: scrutiny and criticism of Ukraine’s record on human rights and democracy issues will surely continue after the Association Agreement is signed
- European Court on Human Rights urges Ukraine to update Soviet-era laws on peaceful assembly
- Ambassador Kostiantyn Yelisieiev: will EU assume responsibility for the consequences of not signing the Association Agreement with Ukraine?
- Romano Prodi: Ukraine is perfectly positioned to become a geopolitical and economic bridge between Europe and Russia
- Russian ambassador: The EU has never offered - and in my view will never offer - full membership to Ukraine.