3 April, 2013 11:10 ▪
Russian ambassador: The EU has never offered - and in my view will never offer - full membership to Ukraine.
“The EU has never promised – and in my view will never promise – full membership of the EU to Ukraine. Whereas the Eurasian economic union is from the outset offering full membership to the Ukraine,” Chizhov said.
He highlighted the exceptional cultural and economic ties between Russia and Ukraine, and added: “So when Western commentators speak of ‘Russian-speaking eastern Ukraine’, that sounds ridiculous, because the whole of Ukraine is Russian speaking, in parallel with Ukrainian.”
As quoted by EurActiv he said that a period of “difficult relations” between Russia and Ukraine during the reign of former Ukrainian president Yuschchenko “is now behind us”.
“The Ukrainian people have seen that these policies were not leading them anywhere,” Chizhov stated.
READ ALSO: In Whole or in Part?
- European Parliament backs decision to cut customs duties on imports from Ukraine
- FT: West had been ready to loan Kiev €20bn
- Hanne Severinsen: There are so many people under the autocratic surface of Yanukovych regime who want to live in a European society
- Radio Liberty: Oligarchs give Ukraine's President crucial support in EU drive
- Political analyst: Ukraine has two enemies of European Integration - Russia and itself
- Romano Prodi: Ukraine should not be considered a battlefield between EU and Russia